The Politics of Staging Your Home for Sale
- As the incumbent homeowner, your goal is to no longer think of your house as a home, but as a product to market and sell.
- Your platform is the demographic of the buyer. Who are they? Where are they moving from? How old are they? Is this a dual market?(new home buyers AND downsizers). Ensure that the visual presentation of your home matches the expectation of the buyer.
- Your photo-op is ongoing, not just a one-time event. Be sure to leave your home in show-ready condition every day.
- When your caucus convenes, (open house) or primaries take place (broker’s open) ensure your home is extraordinarily clean. You may be able to get away with stashing a few items in a closet before photos were taken, but showings and public events are time to shine. Don’t let the other parties expose the skeletons in your closet.
- Be conservative in the display of your collections. Group items in arrangements of three, in heights tall, medium and small.
- Apply pops of color liberally. Create a palette of no more than three colors and incorporate it throughout the home, in artwork, pillows and accents.
- Rugs are the moderates of home decor when staging. Neutral is best overall. High contrast rugs overpower a room in photos.
- Don’t let there be any debate over the condition of your home. Proactively address all deferred maintenance issues before listing, or your offers will reflect the poor upkeep of your home.
- Seek the assistance of your professional stager for help before you list your home. Don’t be forced to lose your funding by incurring a price reduction.
Staged by Design is Northern Virginia’s premier home staging company. Contact us today to schedule a home staging consultation and see what a difference staging your property can make. With our extensive experience in home staging and interior decorating, we help homeowners sell their homes for more money in less time!